East Zorra-Tavistock

Skip to main content
Township of East Zorra-Tavistock

Municipal Elections

Oxford County Joint Compliance Audit Committee

The Oxford County 2018-2022 Joint Compliance Audit Committee has been formed.

The Committee is independent of the municipalities and are required by the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 to consider applications requesting audits of candidates' campaign finances. Committees may be required to appoint auditors and determine if legal proceedings are required as a result of the auditors' reports.

Got a question or a comment?

For any questions, comments or concerns related to the 2018 Municipal Election, please contact Will Jaques, Township Clerk at 519-462-2697 ext. 225 or email wjaques@ezt.ca

Frequently Asked Questions

When is the 2018 Municipal Election?

  • The 2018 Municipal Election will be held on Monday, October 22, 2018

How can you vote in the 2018 Municipal Election?

  • By Internet or Telephone (only).  Like the Vote-by-Mail elections in 2010 and 2014, please note there will be no polling stations.

What is the first day candidates can file their nomination paper?

  • Tuesday, May 1, 2018 (previously January 1).
  • Candidates that are running for School Board Trustee offices must contact the City of Woodstock Clerk.

When will nomination papers be made available?

  •  Nomination papers are available online and at the Township Office

When is the last day a candidate can file their nomination paper?

  • Friday, July 27, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.

How do I file nomination papers?

  • To learn more about the nomination process visit our Becoming a Candidate webpage. All nominations forms must be filed in-person at the Township Office located at 90 Loveys Street, Hickson. Candidates will be required to pay the nomination fee, provide identification, and swear an oath at our office.

How do I withdraw my nomination?

  • We have a Notice of Withdrawl form that you will be required to complete at the Elections Office. This must be done before the close of nominations on July 27, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.

What is a Third Party Advertiser?

  • A Third Party Advertiser can be an individual, corporation or trade union that is not a candidate, but participates in the election by running a campaign the same way a candidate would. A Third Party Advertiser can run a campaign that promotes or opposes a particular candidate.

What is the timeframe for Third Party Advertisers to register?

  • Third Party Advertisers must register with the Clerk between May 1, 2018 and October 19, 2018.

Where and how are the Voter's Lists provided?

  • The Voters’ List will be available to candidates at the beginning of September, 2018. On the written request of a certified candidate for an office, the Clerk shall provide him or her with the part of the Voters’ List that contains the names of the electors who are entitled to vote for that office.

When can I start campaigning?

  • You can only start campaigning after you file your nomination papers.

Where can I put up election signs?

  • Please see attached letter.

How do I know if I am disqualified from holding office?

  • It is the responsibility of each candidate to ensure they are qualified to seek the office for which they are being nominated. If you are unsure, seek legal advice immediately.

How does a candidate choose which ward to run in? Do you have to live in the ward you are running in?

  • A candidate can run for office in the ward of their choice. You do not have to live in the same ward you are running in. However, you do have to vote from the address at which you reside. For example, you live in Ward 2, but are running in Ward 1. You have to vote in Ward 2.

What is the definition of a residence?

In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 a person’s residence is “the permanent lodging place to which, whenever absent, he or she intends to return”. The following rules apply in determining a person’s residence:

  • A person may only have one residence at a time
  • The place where a person’s family resides is also his or her residence, unless he or she moves elsewhere with the intention of changing his or her permanent lodging place
  • If a person has no other permanent lodging place, the place where he or she occupies a room or part of a room as a regular lodger or to which he or she habitually returns.

Are there limitations on entering apartment buildings after submitting nomination papers?

  • Campaign provisions have been clarified to allow candidates to access apartment buildings, condominiums, non-profit housing co-ops or gated communities from 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. in order to campaign. Landlords and condominium corporations will not be allowed to prohibit tenants or owners from displaying campaign signs in their windows. Here are the excerpts from the legislation:

Access to residential premises

   88.1  No person who is in control of an apartment building, condominium building, non-profit housing cooperative or gated community may prevent a candidate or his or her representative from campaigning between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. at the doors to the apartments, units or houses, as the case may be.

Display of signs at residential premises

   88.2  (1)  No landlord or person acting on a landlord’s behalf may prohibit  a tenant from displaying signs in relation to an election on the premises to which the lease relates.

Same, condominium corporations

   (2)  No condominium corporation or any of its agents may prohibit the owner or tenant of a condominium unit from displaying signs in relation to an election on the premises of his or her unit.


   (3)  Despite subsections (1) and (2), a landlord, person, condominium corporation or agent may set reasonable conditions relating to the size or type of signs in relation to an election that may be displayed on the premises and may prohibit the display of signs in relation to an election in common areas of the building in which the premises are found.


   (4)  Despite subsection (3), no landlord, person, condominium corporation or agent may prohibit the display of signs in relation to an election in common areas of the building if space in the building is being used as a voting place.

The legislation regarding the rights of candidates to enter apartment buildings, condominiums, and non-profits for the purposes of canvassing can also be found in the Condominium Act, 1998, S.O. 1998, Chapter 19Residential Tenancies Act , 2006, S.O. 2006, Chapter 17 and Co-operative Corporations Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter C.35

Have there been any changes to legislation since the last election?

  • Yes, the Municipal Elections Modernization Act, passed June 7, 2016 made changes to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996. These changes affect the Nomination Calendar, Eligibility, Third Party Advertising, Ranked Ballot Voting, Campaign Finance, Accessibility, Campaign Advertising and Election Administration for 2018. Some of these changes came into effect immediately after Royal Assent and certain changes do not come into effect until April 1, 2018. A summary of these changes can be found online at http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page11112.aspx.

How are students counted towards votes?

  • If a student in the Township of East Zorra-Tavistock meets the general eligibility requirements, they are entitled to vote in the Township of East Zorra-Tavistock municipal election.

How do I find out how many people are running in a particular Ward?

  • The Township of East Zorra-Tavistock will post the names of candidates online once they have been reviewed and approved by the Clerk.

Is it possible to do the nomination online?

  • No, you must file your nomination papers in-person at the Township Office.

Are qualifications only at the time of the nomination or throughout the election?

  • You must be eligible to run for office at the time of nomination and throughout the election. If you are elected, you must maintain your eligibility during your time in office.

How do candidates prove the Voters' List has been destroyed after the Election?

  • Candidates will sign a declaration swearing that you will destroy the Voters’ List in an acceptable manner. If you would like to return your list to the Clerk’s Office we will ensure the list is destroyed on your behalf.

How do I determine which name goes on the ballot? 

  • When you file your nomination papers there will be a section for you to write down your name as you want it to appear on the ballot. If you normally go by a different name than your legal first name, you may use that name provided the  Clerk agrees. You do not have to provide all of your names under Given Name(s) on the form. Only provide the one(s) that you want to appear on the ballot.

I filed my nomination papers; can I assume my name will appear on the ballot?

  • No. The  Clerk is required to certify each nomination after it has been filed and before the close of nominations. The Clerk will verify the candidate’s name is on the Voters’ List and therefore an eligible elector.
  • It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure they meet all the qualifications and file proper nomination papers. Each candidate should contact the Township Office to ensure that their forms are in order. Since the Clerk may examine the nominations papers after the nomination period ends and may reject them, a candidate may find that their papers have been rejected and are too late to file additional information or provide proof to the Clerk of their qualifications.

More policies and by-laws can be found in the Policies & By-Laws page, where the most frequently requested documents are stored. The complete list of By-Laws is found at the By-Law Register.

Copyright © 2018, All Rights Reserved - EZT